Saturday, January 9, 2016

2015 Favorites

Favorite fiction: The Crossroads trilogy by Kate Elliott

Favorite non-fiction: Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell & Jeffrey Kluger

Favorite mystery/thriller: Complicity by Iain Banks
Perhaps not a conventional mystery but my pick all the same.

Favorite historical fiction: Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin

Favorite fantasy: The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

Favorite Sci-fi: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
This title had been on my TBR since before its release date. I'm in a reading community full of fans of a particular series (they shall remain nameless here) and it took me a while to realize that while we all love this same series it's almost all I have in common with them reading-wise. Neglecting this title is just another example of that. I can't believe I let this sit and sit due to a slightly rubbish review from that community. Ah well, it was wonderful even if I was late to the party.

Favorite Romance: Tie!
Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho
The King's Man by Elizabeth Kingston

Favorite Short Stories: The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Kate Elliott's collection was a very close second.

Surprise hit: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Surprise blunder: Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh
I think it's time for me to finally accept that despite almost universal praise C.J. Cherryh and I just don't click.

Favorite author discovered in 2015: Kate Elliott
Technically I didn't first read Kate Elliott in 2015 but if I ever get around to posting about sgwordy's Great Reading Love Affair of 2015 it'll become clear that I did, in fact, discover KE in 2015. :) 

Most re-read book first read in 2015: Jaran

Most re-read author in 2015: Kate Elliott


And since I do occasionally do something other than read...

Movies:
Favorite - The Dressmaker
Surprise hit - The Dressmaker (the ad campaign for this film is so misleading)
Surprise blunder - Inside Out

Video games:
Favorite - Gone Home
SW:ToR and I had a bad break-up. Let's not speak of EA ever again.

Honorable mention to Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries as I'm having so much fun with that TV show





Past Editions: 
2014 Favorites
2013 Favorites
2011 Favorites
2010 Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment